Whew, that’s a mouthful. I’m so bad at being concise, everyone. Anyway, since one of my goals this year was to be more mindful of my beauty product consumption, I thought I’d check in here. I’ve been dutifully cataloguing everything that’s come into my possession this year in two separate lists. I’m using one list to track the products I’ve purchased myself and one to include gratis from work, PR samples, gifts, GWP, and other things of that nature. I’m going to share those lists with you along with the dollar value of each product. Some products will have a second price listed in brackets which will reflect what I actually paid for the product after my 30% employee discount. I’ve also been converting anything purchased in USD to CAD. Because the dollar value fluctuates, those values may not be accurate as of right now, but they reflect how much I paid in CAD at the time of purchase.
Products purchased in between January 1, 2017 and March 31, 2017
- 01/02: Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder – Light – $53 – $30 gift card used. Replaced my previous contour product, which was about two and a half years old.
- 01/02: Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Palette – $55. I had been attempting to buy this palette since mid-June, so I feel justified in the purchase.
- 01/11: The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 – $6.80.
- 01/11: Nuxe Rêve de Miel Lip Balm – $17 ($11.90). Replacement.
- 01/15: Maybelline Fit Me Foundation – Matte and Poreless – 110 Porcelain – $5.99. This was an impulse buy because it was on deep sale. (Normal price in Canada is about $12.99.) It’s okay, but I didn’t need it and I don’t love it. I never used to be the kind of person who would impulse buy foundation of all things.
- 01/23: L’Oreal Brow Stylist Plumper Brow Gel Mascara – Transparent – $5. Replacement for my Essence brow gel.
- 01/23: TreSemmé Colour Revitalize Shampoo – $4. I bought this when I went red thinking it was a great deal: a mere four bucks for nearly a litre of shampoo! Of course, now that I’m blonde I’m back on the purple shampoo bandwagon, so I won’t need this anymore. It was a good deal at the time, though…
- 02/01: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Riche Moisturizer Set – $31 ($21.70). This was a replacement. I bought it in a set because it was the same price and I got some minis that I can bring travelling.
- 02/01: Quo Blending Sponge – $7 ($4.90). Replacement for my very crusty and old blending sponge.
- 02/01: Essence Gel Top Coat – $4.49 ($3.14). I bought this because I needed a new top coat and didn’t want to splurge for Sally Hansen, but I ended up buying Sally two months later because this one isn’t as good. Lesson learned.
- 02/01: L’Oreal Voluminous Lash Primer – $10.49 ($7.34): I bought this to use as a primer under coloured mascaras so they’ll show up better on my lashes. Not a totally necessary purchase, but it does do what I wanted it to.
- 02/08: ColourPop Super Shock Shadows – Stereo, Paradox, Animal, Boy Band – $5 USD or $6.53 CAD each = $20 USD or $26.12 CAD total. I’ll review these at some point and get into my reasoning behind purchasing them, I promise!
- 02/08: ColourPop Lippie Pencil – Contempo, Nevermind, Heart On – $5 USD or $6.53 CAD each = $15 USD or $19.59 CAD total.
- 02/08: ColourPop Ultra Matte Lips – Dr. M, Lychee, Tuesday – $6 USD or $7.84 CAD each = $18 USD or $23.52 CAD total.
- 02/14: MUFE Ultra HD Foundation – Y215 – $52. Technically this was a replacement for my used up bottle of Ultra HD, but since I already had two foundations on the go I’m not sure this counts as a replacement… In my notes I’ve marked it as such, so obviously I was in a cheating mood that day.
- 02/21: La Roche-Posay Respectissime Eye Makeup Remover – $19.50 ($13.65). Replacement for the same product, which I used up.
- 03/14: Ice Cream Restructuring Mask With Keratin – $14.99 ($10.49). I had a very serious love affair with another Ice Cream hair mask, so when I saw that they had this one with keratin I went for it without second thought. I did need a new deep conditioner. So far so good!
- 03/17: Olaplex Step 3 – $30.70. Not a replacement, but a necessary purchase as after I went back to blonde my hair was in terrible condition. It’s made a huge difference already and it’s only been a few weeks!
Total value (CAD): $405.18
Total spent (CAD): $334.84
Honestly, I’ve never tracked my beauty spending before so I’m not sure how to feel about this number! For the most part, I don’t think it’s bad, considering I’ve included skincare, bodycare, hair products, and nail products in this and not just makeup. I did make a few frivolous and/or impulse purchases, but if you take the ColourPop order and Maybelline foundation out of the equation, almost all of it was either a) a replacement, b) necessary though not a replacement, or c) something I thought about for a long time before buying. The dollar value might seem a little high, but I don’t regret most of these purchases. By the way, if you’re American hopefully you’ll see our shitty dollar value reflected in these prices: if you convert my total spent into USD it’d be less than $250. HOWEVER I did get to use my employee discount on a lot of these items, so as you can see the actual dollar value is obviously higher if the average consumer were to buy all this stuff. I’m not mad about what I bought this quarter, but I still think I can trim the fat a bit next time!
Products received at no cost between January 1, 2017 and March 31, 2017
- 01/18: Marc Jacobs Style Eye Con No 7 Plush Eyeshadow Palette in The Lolita – $71 – Gift. My friend Kristin got me this for Christmas (and of course we had our gift swap almost a month after Christmas).
- 01/28: Bite Beauty Lip Liners – 020 and 044 – $20 each ($40 value) – PR. Received from Influenster.
- 01/28: Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick – Honeycomb and Whiskey – Deluxe Samples – $30 full size – $10 sample value ($20 for both) – PR. Received from Influenster.
- 02/14: Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair Hair Mask – Deluxe Sample – $46 full size – $5.75 sample value. Used Sephora points.
- 02/25: Reversa Antioxidant Booster Serum – $49 – Gratis. I completed an online Reversa training and received this as gratis.
- 02/28: StriVectin Active Infustion Youth Serum – $99 – Gratis. Received at a brand school.
- 02/28: StriVectin All Smooth Starter Trio (Haircare Deluxe Sample Kit) – $30 – Gratis. Received at a brand school.
- 02/28: StriVectin Silver Peel-Off Purifier – Deluxe Sample – $72 full size – $7.20 sample value – Gratis. Received at a brand school.
- 03/15: Maybelline Creamy Matte Lipstick – Burgundy Blush – $10.99 – Work. Occasionally my boss puts out a bag full of discontinued products for us to pick through. This was in one of those bags. I couldn’t resist it since I know I adore the Maybelline Creamy Matte formula.
- 03/29: Avène YsthéAL Intense – $55 – Gratis. Received at a brand school.
- 03/29: Avène Eau Thermale – $16.50 – Gratis. Received at a brand school.
- 03/29: Avène TriXera Nutri-Fluid Lotion – $30 – Gratis. Received at a brand school.
- 03/29: A-Derma Exomega 2-in-1 Shower Gel – $25 – Gratis. Received at a brand school.
- 03/29: Ducray Anaphase+ Strengthening Conditioner – $26 – Gratis. Received at a brand school.
Total value: $485.44
So, this is the area where I think I struggle the most. In the cosmetics world spring and fall are when you go to brand training schools, aka sit in a hotel conference room with stale pastries for 4 hours learning about the new launches so that you can walk away with a generous swag bag. You’ll see more of my training school hauls reflected in my next check-in post as well. I give away quite a bit of the stuff I receive without even opening it, but even so I end up with a lot of skincare goodies. I try to only keep things I’ll use, but I don’t like to have too much open at one time, so inevitably some of it goes in the backup drawer. I really do try to limit the products I own, but at the same time part of my job is trying a lot of products so I can give good recommendations to customers. So I don’t know…
All in all, a lot of stuff came into my possession this quarter. In terms of what I bought, I feel good about most of it, though I did somewhat succumb to impulse. I think the gratis category is kind of a lost cause at this time of year because I’m being plied with products left, right, and centre. But I think I’m doing okay, all things considered!
(Jeez, 38 new products in 3 months does seem like a lot though.)
There are 2 responses to “Quarter 1 Beauty Product Consumption Accountability Checkin”
Leave a Reply
Please feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post. Please don't leave a link to your blog in the body of your comment. If you leave your URL in the appropriate field in the form I will be able to click your name and check out your blog. Comments that don't adhere to this policy will be edited or deleted.